How to achieve your God-given dream
Perhaps you have a burning desire to do something or feel God’s leading you down a particular path. Maybe he’s spoken to you directly or through someone else. It’s exciting to know he loves us enough to plant dreams and visions within us, but how do we go about achieving them?
- Make sure it’s from God. If it doesn’t line up with scripture it’s probably not from the Lord, so read the word and pray it through. Ask God to give you confirmation that it’s something he wants you to pursue.
- Embrace it. Once you’re sure you’re heading in the right direction, say yes! Thank God for the dream he has placed in your heart and ask him to help you realise it. Get excited!
- Write it down. Find (or buy) a new notebook and write down your vision or ambition. Colour code it and add glitter if you want to! Just make sure it’s clear and works as a powerful reminder of what you’re aiming for.
- Make a plan. Think about how you’re going to work towards your goal. Perhaps it’ll take a year to achieve. If so, break it down into months, then weeks, then days. Do something that helps you take a step closer each day (even if it’s ‘just’ praying), but make sure it’s achievable and allow plenty of time for rest.
- Source the resources. Whatever your final aim is, you’ll need the right tools to make it happen. Whether you’re determined to write a book, fly a plane, build a community café, start a new business or swim the Channel, what resources will you need to make it happen?
- Get other people involved. Perhaps your vision requires several pairs of hands or special expertise that you simply don’t have. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or to share your dream with those you trust. Ask them to pray for and support you as you fulfil your quest.
- Celebrate every victory. Enjoy the journey and give yourself a pat on the back every time you take a step closer to your dream. It doesn’t have to be a huge victory or a massive celebration; a small treat can help you mark smaller milestones and encourage you on your way.
- Keep going. Don’t give up on your vision, even if it’s tougher than you expected. Anything that’s really worth doing will involve commitment and sacrifice, but it’ll all be worth it when you get there and take your prize!
- Involve God at every stage. Remember that he’s as interested in your dream as you are. He placed it in your heart himself! So keep praying and seeking him, asking for strength and courage as you work towards your goal. And don’t forget to give him the glory when you reach it.
- Ask him for a new dream. You didn’t think you’d be able to just rest on your laurels for the rest of your life once you’d achieved your aims, did you? Once you’ve nailed this dream it’ll be time to start seeking God for the next one. Expect it to be even bigger and better than this one…
Psalm 20:4 “May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.”